08 September 2009

Pie in the Sky

I am not a huge fan of pie in general. The one exception to this is pie that involves fresh fruit. So, after obtaining some peaches, I went to work to make a fresh peach pie. Specifically, this peach pie, from tastykitchen.com. It got 5 hot mitts (the highest of all honors), so being the trusting individual I am, I got out all the ingredients and got to work.

However, being the domestically challenged individual I am, it took me an embarrassing amount of time to notice that this "crust" did not call for the typical pie crust ingredients. But, not being a huge fan of pie crust, I was not alarmed. A little curious, perhaps, as the crust I was making seemed to resemble more of a meringue than a crust. Then a little bored, because even in my KitchenAid, getting my egg whites to form "soft peaks" took FOREVER!

This is what my crust looked like before hitting the oven for 50 to 55 minutes.

Odd, right? And this is what it looked like when it came out.

At this point I am a more than a little skeptical about what this pie will taste like. But I pressed on.
Now, I am much less skeptical, because I just added the two best parts of a pie, the filling and whipped cream.
I summoned Reo and we tasted the pie. We give it an overwhelming...Ehh...It wasn't horrible. I am not sold on the crust, but it wasn't a total disaster. Tasted a little like...slightly burned graham cracker maybe?

So, what do you think? Is a meringue-type crust a common baking technique that I couldn't wrap my non-baker little head around? Did I completely mess up some step along the way? Don't be shy, help a domestically challenged gal out!

Also, if you make this pie (which why wouldn't you, after the rave review I gave) it calls for WAY too much cinnamon. FYI.

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

Amber said...

hmm...I have never heard of that kind of crust, but that is not saying much because I am not much of a pie making person myself, although I do love pie. It looks like it turned out yummy! Fruit pies are my favorite.

Diana said...

You know, the crust recipe sounds almost like forgotten cookies. I've NEVER in all my cook book'in days seen a recipe for a pie like that. Well, actually, I've seen one for meringue bases for fruit but not with nuts and not with cool whip.
Also, I agreed with the comment about the sugar...that was pretty vague. It's tragic when they tease you with good reviews and then it's a bust.