01 December 2008

Reo's Daily Beef: Christmas Edition...With Guest Blogger Juliana

Okay, so hopefully I don't offend anyone with this post. Let me preempt this by saying that I love Christmas music. I am one of those people who begins listening to Christmas music inappropriately too early. Usually by November 1st I am jamming out to Christmas tunes. I would probably start earlier if FM 100 played Christmas music in October.
However, my beef is this: The ridiculously obvious lyrics of the song "Mary Did You Know." It's a catchy tune, I will give you that, but really? Take the third verse for example.

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy is lord of all creation?
Did you know
That your baby boy will one day rules the nations?
Did you know
That your baby boy is heavens perfect lamb?
This sleeping child you're holding
Is the great I am

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure Mary DID know all that. Didn't the angel Gabriel come to her and give her a heads up about what was going on? I don't know that she would have agreed to immaculate conception if she didn't have a pretty good idea of the greater purpose of it all.

Anyways, I know it is just a song, and I am not trying to be all Bah Humbug..But every time I hear that song I can't help but be slightly annoyed.

1 comment:

Amber said...

hahahah... this post made my whole day! I have thought the same thing about this song. I too, am a huge Christmas music fan, but I quickly switch from fm 100 to kozy 106.5 or the other way around when this song come on. The other one I take issue with... the one about the kid buying Christmas shoes for his mom so she looks good when she meets Jesus... I won't even start about the things that bug me about that song. (yes, I know I am going straight to hell....) But most Christmas songs are great :) And even though it is hard to admit, I still listen to my Jessica Simpson Christmas CD and get a little choked up every time I hear "Baby It's Cold Outside" And now I complete the longest comment ever... I think we need to hang out more because leaving page long comments on your blog means we don't see each other enough...