01 May 2009

Overheard in A Gas Station

So, there is a website called Overheard in New York where people post random and amusing conversations they have overheard in New York City. Well, Bountiful isn't exactly New York but does give the opportunity to overhear funny exchanges.

Allow me to set the scene. I went in to the local gas station to get a soda while Julie and Holden waited in the car. While I'm filling up my soda, a mother and son walk up and the mother gets a drink beside me. Now, the mom is in her mid 40's and the son is probably 22. He's also wearing a Michael Jordan Bulls jersey with nothing underneath, sweat bands on his wrists, and "Ross Shorts" (which is a term Julie coined that refers to the oversized jean shorts, typically sold at Ross). I overhear the following exchange:

Son: Can I have this? (Holding up a pint of Ben & Jerry's)
Mother: No.
Son: It's only $2.89.
Mother: I only have a $10 bill. If we get that, then I won't have enough for cigarettes.

At this point I was walking up to pay for my drink, so the rest of the conversation was missed. However, I did spy the son leaving the gas station ice cream free. Rough day for him.

2 comments:

Amber said...

but mooooooom.....

Melissa said...

Hey I was in your neck of the woods Friday for my cousins wedding, they were married at the Bountiful temple and the recep. was at the Wight House (it was all a first, I've never been up there and have lived in Utah my entire life)...any ways I was wondering if you could email me your address to melissar.gray@gmail.com Thanks a ton!!