02 September 2009

A Mary, Mary Finale

See HERE and HERE if you need a Mary, Mary refresher course.

Bad news.
My "tomatoes" were diagnosed (by me) with Failure to Thrive.

Each day I nursed those plants with water and love. And I fully intended to use the tomato fertilizer I bought, but it looked kind of messy, and messy = overwhelming to my brain. But you only use fertilizer if you want giant State Fair sized tomatoes, right?

Day after day, I went out to check my little plant's progress. Day after day they looked the same. I would count 16 sprouts, about 3 inches long. The first week, this was exciting. The second, slightly frustrating. By the third week of this, I decided some "tough love" was in order, so I stopped watering them. I mean, at this rate, I wasn't going to end up with tomatoes until February!

On the 4th week, I put them to sleep.


Pray for me when the Apocalypse comes. I don't think I could be self sustaining if my life depended on it.

1 comment:

Emily Wing Smith said...

Hey, I was JUST thinking about you re: the Apocalypse. And no worries, because I've got a coupon for freeze-dried tomatoes. No need to grow things yourself. Work is for chumps.