16 October 2011

They Say It's Your Birthday...

Holden turned three yesterday, and it was a pretty great day all around.   The weather was awesome, it was a  Saturday, so Reo got to be home all day and Holden's much anticipated "Beatles Party" was finally here.  Seriously, if you know this kid, he has been talking about his Beatles party for months and has been so excited about all the details.  In fact, when I made a last minute change to the menu to accommodate my pregnant laziness it ticked Holden right off.  

Disclaimer:  I use the term "party" really loosely here.  Mostly I had my family over for our traditional birthday dinner.  Holden doesn't really know that many kids, and when you have a kid birthday party you have to entertain them and stuff, which I am SO not ready for.  So, while all the food and decor ideas were pretty much lifted straight from here, I dumbed it down to meet my needs...and then I dumbed it down more and more the closer I got to the actual event and the more and more pregnant/tired I got. 

Disclaimer #2:  This is still a really long post.  Sorry in advance.

All our food was Beatles themed, including Yellow Submarine Sandwiches and Here Comes the Sun Chips, Holden's two personal faves.


I think this year I actually took pictures of everyone who came.


We played Beatles Bingo where my ''artwork" was sufficiently mocked (I knew I should have outsourced that task to someone more talented), and had Beatles themed prizes.


Then came Holden's favorite part of the night...presents.  After opening each on he exclaimed loudly about his "BRAND NEW (fill in the blank)."  You know, because usually the kid only gets old, used up stuff.


Then, of course there was cake.


Which Holden thoroughly enjoyed.  Look at that face.  Could not have been happier that everyone was singing Happy Birthday to HIM.


And the biggest ways Holden turning three let me know that he is not a baby anymore:  He blew out his own candles and used a fork to eat his birthday cake.  I may or may not have wanted to cry a little bit.


Whew, you have officially survived another marathon Holden's Birthday post.  You have until next October to recover.  Use your time wisely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! that looks like it was quite the party! you can totally be my party consultant come Xim's big 3! awesome.

jones family said...

love love LOVE IT!! i have seen this beatles party and thought it was so stinkin cute! i am so proud of your crafty little self!! i also can't believe holden is THREE!! NOOOO WAY! we miss you guys ugh!