30 March 2010

Decisions Decisions...



It's been a while since our blog has been graced by my presence and, uh, "unique" writing style, but I have some news to share. As some of you may or may not know, I recently decided to attempt getting in to graduate school. This entailed about 3 months of in-depth study for the Graduate Management Admissions Test (Ugghh), taking said test (UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!), researching and applying to schools, then waiting in agony for the schools to accept or (probably) reject me.

In an effort to err on the side of caution, and to satisfy my self-doubt, I applied to 8 (EIGHT!) schools. Those schools are: University of Texas at Dallas, University at Buffalo, Penn State University, University of Wisconsin, Saint Louis University, Indiana University, Washington University (St. Louis), and University of San Diego. Since I'm going after a Master of Supply Chain Management, Penn State was #1 on my list. Though, since it's well reputed, I figured I was a long shot. After that was Indiana, again, a long shot for a highly ranked schooled. I applied to the rest just hoping to get into one of them. Any of them. I honestly figured on going to the only place that accepted me. I was wrong.

I have now heard back from 5 schools and my "record" is 4 and 1. I've been accepted to University of Texas at Dallas, Saint Louis University, Indiana University, and (gasp!) Penn State. If you're curious, I was rejected by the University at Buffalo (booooo!). Well, I didn't think going into this that I would have to decide between my #1 and #2 choices. Here's the issue: Penn State is a 2 year program, but is tops when it comes to SCM education. Indiana is a 1 year program, highly ranked, but not Penn State. Since Indiana accepted me a week before Penn State and only gave two weeks for a decision, I had to act fast. I agonized over this for days. You can ask Julie, I was downtrodden and struggled with the decision. But, after thinking it through and looking at what was best for me, my family, and our current situation, I chose.....


INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!!! Seriously. Here's the letter to prove it:

Alas, don't fret about my 1 year absence from your lives, the program is online. So I'll still be around, just really really really busy from August 2010 - August 2011. Sorry for the long post, but I thought I would share.

P.S. Can anyone tell me what a "Hoosier" is? That would reeeaalllly help me out, thanks.

6 comments:

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

Congratulations Reo!!! And just today I was looking at houses in Bountiful... haha figures ;) But, really are there no good programs in, oh, I don't know, Provo? That is me just being selfish. Really I am excited for you and that is very good news.

P.S. I removed my first comment due to an embarrassing spelling error.

Amber said...

haha and I just read that the program is online... so now I am calming down about a million percent, I may not be the most thorough reader.... now I am 100 million percent behind this.

coleman said...

Congrats Captain Reo!

Emily Wing Smith said...

Rock on, R-Dawg. May we celebrate on Friday? Do something wildncrazy, like play some Train?

Shannon Martin said...

I am so proud of you!