25 October 2012

More About Four

Three was hard on this family.  It was so super awesome, but it was hard.  Holden's third year brought a new baby, a new house, and new expectations on bladder control (I seriously don't want to jinx it, but you guys, I think he finally has it down.).  It's enough to make anyone act, well, like a three year old.
 
I was promised by many that my heart would grow enough to love a second child as much as I love Holden. This is true.  I was not warned about the fact that unfortunately, my patience would not automatically double in size along with my heart.  Holden most often takes the brunt of this, and he takes it in stride.  If I was half as patient with him as he is with me we wouldn't even have an issue, and I love him for that.  When I apologized to him after a particularly rough day, he told me "no harm done."  I really, really hope that's true.

All that being said, I could not be happier to have a four year old.  Although I still have days where I chain drink Diet Coke and text Reo cryptic "I Quit" messages, I am pleased to say those days are few and far between.  At least relatively.

Because really, this child is an angel.  40.5 inches (56th%) and 39 lbs 8 oz (78th%) of pure angel.


He's my sidekick.  He relays me my text messages and lets me know when I write something on the wrong day on my calendar.  He saved me from completely forgetting his preschool birthday treat.  Basically I have my own, much needed, personal assistant.
And also, he says funny things.  Some of these I've been saving up in the unreliable archives of my brain for awhile, so they desperately need to be documented before I blink and he's 15.  Plus, everyone likes to hear about funny things kids say, right?  Right??!?!  Here goes...

** "Either I peed, or I am just sweaty...Oh, good.   I'm just sweaty."

** "MOM!  Look at that cool van!  I have always wanted a van!"

** Me:  Look how well you drew that H!  Let's try another one.
    Holden:  (Draws a circle)  How about I draw a big rock instead, because I looooove big rocks!

**(Talking about holidays)
    Holden:  Do you know what comes after Memorial Day?
    Me:  Fourth of July!
    Holden:  No, Tuesday.

** Holden: (singing loudly)  Mom, this is a microphone I am singing in to.
     Me:  I know, I can hear.  It's very, very loud.
     Holden:  Yes, that's because concerts are very loud, mom.
 
** "This is a girl song....Let's listen to ABBA instead."

** "Mom, I am really impressed with that guy's beard!"

** Holden: Oh NO! A natural disaster just happened to me!
     Me:  What happened?
     Holden:  I spilled my milk!

Heads up:  You better believe there is still one more birthday related post heading your way.   You lucky people, you.

1 comment:

Shannon Martin said...

Oh my gosh I adore this child! I have GOT to make it back out there to see your babies. I miss all of you!